Note: This job listing is no longer available. Thank you for your interest.
Potter Lab, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
We are a great group of people doing fun and exciting research! And we need your help!
We are seeking a Research Specialist (Research Technician) to help us with our fly and mosquito reagents and move our research forward. The successful applicant will gain valuable experience in a research setting. The job posting is below, along with the link to apply on JHU Jobs. The position is open until filled.
Take a look around our lab site to get a sense of what we do, and then apply!
Under the general supervision of a faculty investigator, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing large transgenic fly and mosquito colonies, as well as performing laboratory management responsibilities. The candidate will also assist post-doctoral fellows and graduate students in the design and implementation of experiments related to insect and chemosensory neuroscience. The new research technician will be trained by the faculty advisor, as well as by lab members.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities (applicant will be trained on the job):
- Manage and maintenance of fly and mosquito stocks; fly stock maintenance includes making fly food vials weekly and transferring fly lab stocks; mosquito maintenance may include PCR genotyping; mosquito maintenance includes blood-feeding mice, and the candidate should be comfortable with mouse handling;
- Monitor inventory levels, order materials and supplies including lab consumables, glassware, and reagents in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Maintain accurate, detailed data records, inventories and procedures in laboratory notebooks and electronically on file servers, ensuring their appropriate file backup, description, accuracy, and completion.
- Plan and run set of experiments after discussion with investigator. Work may include making protocol modifications within the parameters set by investigator.
- Process analyzed data into figures for scientific publications. Utilize specialized knowledge to interpret results, e.g. reading controls, evaluate results.
- Use scientific knowledge and lab experience to evaluate whether component parts of experiments are working as they should. Will help troubleshoot experimental problems.
- May participate in protocol development, efficiency, and productivity. Assists in development of new techniques and instruments. Will train new lab members on established techniques.
- Coordinate lab efforts in generating new mutant and transgenic strains of mosquitoes after discussion with investigator.
- Supervise undergraduates or other volunteers in fly and mosquito husbandry.
- Apply published research methods to current experimental work by investigating published protocols and discussing them with PI.
- Manage and perform general laboratory tasks, including maintaining laboratory equipment and service contracts, preparing common reagents, ensuring safety and compliance day-to-day and for annual inspections, training new laboratory personnel, shipping/receiving reagents for collaboration with other investigators.
- Follow established procedures or protocols and utilize aseptic technique to perform laboratory experiments which may include: PCR, molecular biology and cloning, genetic crosses with flies and mosquitoes, and microscopy experiments.
- Perform miscellaneous related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (mandatory):
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, genetics, microbiology or other related field.
- laboratory experience (classroom or research).
- Master’s degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula***.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Highly organized
- Work well in a team
- Detail orientated
- Excellent communication skills
Classified Title: Research Specialist
Working Title: Research Specialist
Starting Salary Range: $16.13-$22.16 per hour (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10002905-SOM Neuro Sci Neuroscience
Personnel area: School of Medicine